Friday, September 10, 2010

Sept. 7th

I am finally getting around to updating everyone. First and foremost, thank you all so much for your prayers and support. I feel blessed to know so many wonderful people in my life. It's amazing how much my life has changed in a few short weeks. After the initial, devastating phone call, I knew I would never be the same- I would be better, stronger and so much more appreciative of every single day! Then came all the tests which would first determine if I was going to get to keep my breasts. The day I heard that I could keep my boobs was honestly in the top 10 of happy days of my life. I vowed to never complain about my saggy droopy breasts- I love my saggy, droopy breasts.


I had the lumpectomy last Wednesday. The surgery went very well. I was not in very much pain. They got clear margins and my lymph nodes were clear- praise God! - another answered prayer. I was feeling so good that I decided to take a long walk and clean my house. Well, I burst a blood vessel and developed a large, painful hematoma ( collection of blood at the surgery site) . So now, I have one breast that is a D cup and the other one at least a DDD. My mom gave me a boob pad for my non-hematoma hooter to even me out. Whew baby- I was sporting some gigantic boobs, with the most interesting arrays of colors I have ever seen. Well, today at my post op checkup, the surgeon said that I need to head back to surgery tomorrow to vacuum out the hematoma ( isn't it ironic that I think when I vacuumed the house is when I caused all this and now they have to vacuum out me) . Actually, think it's kind of funny.

I am waiting on one more important test result and then I will meet with the oncologist to see about chemo. I SO hope not! I will definitely need 7 weeks of daily radiation. If I need chemo, it will come first and then radiation. I will have to take a pill for five years that lowers my estrogen- my tumor absolutely loved my estrogen, which they say is a good thing. This pill will instantly put me into full blown menopause, with the lovely side effects of hot flashes, night sweats, weight gain, and general crabbiness. Good news is I'll be done with menopause long before all you all and then I can laugh at you when you get hot flashes- just kidding- well, maybe not!

So, for all you nerds, like me, here's all the scientific stuff. I have invasive ductile carcinoma. Grade 1 ( this is good). Estrogen and progestin positive ( this is good too), tumor size was 1.1 cm ( under 1 cm is best, but under 2 cm is still good). Stage 1 cancer. HER-2 status ( 1.8 , which is in the middle and this is being retested- a score above 2.2 means the cancer was aggressive and chemo will definitely be needed)

Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers. Again, thank you for the prayers, cards, emails, meals, everything! I honestly do not feel sad for myself- I feel blessed to have such wonderful people in my life. Hugs and kisses!

Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment